Taylor Swift’s Instagram followers already know that the pop singer is a close friend to the Haim sisters. The "Shake It Off" singer has a knack for putting her musician pals on the map (Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith), and is determined to do it again with the all-girl group,having announced this week that they will be joining her for select stops on her 1989 Tour.
"Haim is joining the 1989 Tour. This is not a drill," Taylor notified her legions of delighted followers.
The pop star, who will attend the 57TH Annual GRAMMY Awards before hitting the road, enjoyed a holiday with the American rock trio in Hawaii last week, posting sun-soaked photos on Instagram along the way while subtly teasing the band's upcoming appearance on her tour.
"Greetings from Maui! @haimtheband," Taylor captioned a snap herself with singing sisters Este, Danielle and Alana Haim, posing in bikinis. "Este-back ride," she wrote alongside another swimsuit shot of herself in the sea with Este.
As HAIM prepares for the GRAMMYs on Feb. 8, where they’re up for Best New Artist, Hello! sought to learn more about the three sisters.
10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT HAIM:
1. Este, 28, Danielle, 25, and Alana, 23, were born and raised the San Fernando Valley, California and grew up in a musical family. Dad Mordechai is a drummer and mom Donna is a singer and guitarist. Their parents were even in a cover band called Rockinhaim, which played free community and benefit gigs at churches, schools and hospitals.
2. Este is a diabetic and abstains completely from alcohol and drugs.
3.Danielle and Este were members of the pop-rock group Valli Girls and appeared on the soundtrack to the 2005 film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for the song “Always There In You.”
4. Este has a degree in Ethnomusicology from UCLA. She completed the program in just two years instead of the normal five, specializing in Bulgarian and Brazilian music.
5. Danielle turned down a lucrative opportunity to tour with Cee Lo Green’s all-female backing band so she could work on her own music with her two sisters.
6. For their first gig, the trio played at a Jewish deli in Hollywood and were reportedly paid in matzah ball soup.
7. The band released the single “The Wire” followed by their debut album, Days Are Gone. It was a surprise hit overseas, reaching number one and selling 200,000 copies in the UK. When they posted their first-week numbers, Jay Z sent a note of congratulations.
8. They've performed as the musical guests on Saturday Night Live (Josh Hutcherson hosted). Este said this performance was especially important to her, as a high school drama teacher once told her, “You’re never going to be on Saturday Night Live.”
9. They don't like the "girl band" label. “I take it as an insult,” Alanna told the Telegraph of the term, “being a girl in a band shouldn’t be a thing.”
10. Haim is featured on the original soundtrack of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 soundtrack, which was curated by Taylor Swift’s other musical bestie – Lorde. The song, called “Meltdown,” is a collaborative effort between Lorde, Stromae, Pusha T, Q-Tip and HAIM.
Music’s Biggest Night® will be broadcast live exclusively on City on Sunday, February 8 starting at 6:30pm ET/PT with Entertainment City: live at the GRAMMYs, followed immediately by The 57TH Annual GRAMMY Awards at 8pm ET/PT.