South Africa was thought to be on the couple’s itinerary for a tour they were widely reported to be making this October, which is also said to include Angola and Malawi, with a possible stop in Botswana. While the Palace has yet to release the itinerary, Nigel Casey, the British High Commissioner to South Africa, confirmed the couple will visit the country on Wednesday (June 26) in a press conference.
“That’s great news for us. I predict it’s also great news for the South African economy,” he said, before joking, “I predict a hat and frock buying frenzy that could well boost the economy all on its own. We’re hugely looking forward to that.”
It’s not known what Harry and Meghan will be doing while in South Africa, but they’re said to be working to expand Harry’s Sentebale charity in Malawi, and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will learn more about Angola’s work clearing landmines. Royal baby Archie Harrison is rumoured to be going along with them for his first international trips.
This won’t be Harry’s first time visiting Angola – Harry travelled to the southeast African country in 2013. He followed in his mother’s footsteps while doing so, since Princess Diana made a famous visit to an Angolan minefield in 1997. The cause is important to Harry, who called for the removal of landmines around the world at an event at UK thinktank Chatham House last week. He praised Angola’s progress with mine removal, and said there’s still more to be done.
“As long as landmines are in the ground in Angola, we aren’t really giving them a chance,” he said in a speech. “There is an end in sight, which has already been discussed, and that isn’t always the case. So let’s make the most of this opportunity.”
Duchess Kate and Prince William will also head abroad on a tour of Asia that’s expected to take place this fall as well. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are said to be visiting countries that “might include Bangladesh, India, Malaysia and Singapore,” and could also include Sri Lanka, according to the Daily Mail. Brunei and China are not said to be on the itinerary, which has yet to be announced by Kensington Palace. It is not known whether Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will travel with their parents.